TED日本語 - チャリティー・ティーレマン・ディック: 両肺移植後に歌う


TED Talks(英語 日本語字幕付き動画)

TED日本語 - チャリティー・ティーレマン・ディック: 両肺移植後に歌う

TED Talks


After a lung transplant, an aria


Charity Tillemann-Dick






You may not know this, but you are celebrating an anniversary with me. I'm not married, but one year ago today, I woke up from a month-long coma, following a double lung transplant. Crazy, I know. Insane. Thank you.

Six years before that, I was starting my career as an opera singer in Europe, when I was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary hypertension -- also known as PH. It happens when there's a thickening in the pulmonary veins, making the right side of the heart work overtime, and causing what I call the reverse-Grinch effect. My heart was three-and-a-half sizes too big. Physical activity becomes very difficult for people with this condition, and usually after two to five years, you die. I went to see this specialist, and she was top-of-the-field and told me I had to stop singing. She said, "Those high notes are going to kill you." While she didn't have any medical evidence to back up her claim that there was a relationship between operatic arias and pulmonary hypertension, she was absolutely emphatic I was singing my own obituary. I was very limited by my condition, physically. But I was not limited when I sang, and as air came up from my lungs, through my vocal cords and passed my lips as sound, it was the closest thing I had ever come to transcendence. And just because of someone's hunch, I wasn't going to give it up.

Thankfully, I met Reda Girgis, who is dry as toast, but he and his team at Johns Hopkins didn't just want me to survive, they wanted me to live a meaningful life. This meant making trade-offs. I come from Colorado. It's a mile high, and I grew up there with my 10 brothers and sisters and two adoring parents. Well, the altitude exacerbated my symptoms. So I moved to Baltimore to be near my doctors and enrolled in a conservatory nearby. I couldn't walk as much as I used to, so I opted for five-inch heels. And I gave up salt, I went vegan, and I started taking huge doses of sildenafil, also known as Viagra.


My father and my grandfather were always looking for the newest thing in alternative or traditional therapies for PH, but after six months, I couldn't walk up a small hill. I couldn't climb a flight of stairs. I could barely stand up without feeling like I was going to faint. I had a heart catheterization, where they measure this internal arterial pulmonary pressure, which is supposed to be between 15 and 20. Mine was 146. I like to do things big, and it meant one thing: there is a big gun treatment for pulmonary hypertension called Flolan, and it's not just a drug; it's a way of life. Doctors insert a catheter into your chest, which is attached to a pump that weighs about four-and-a-half pounds. Every day,24 hours, that pump is at your side, administering medicine directly to your heart, and it's not a particularly preferable medicine in many senses. This is a list of the side effects: if you eat too much salt, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, you'll probably end up in the ICU. If you go through a metal detector, you'll probably die. If you get a bubble in your medicine -- because you have to mix it every morning -- and it stays in there, you probably die. If you run out of medicine, you definitely die.

No one wants to go on Flolan. But when I needed it, it was a godsend. Within a few days, I could walk again. Within a few weeks, I was performing, and in a few months, I debuted at the Kennedy Center. The pump was a little bit problematic when performing, so I'd attach it to my inner thigh with the help of the girdle and an ACE bandage. Literally hundreds of elevator rides were spent with me alone stuffing the pump into my Spanx, hoping the doors wouldn't open unexpectedly. And the tubing coming out of my chest was a nightmare for costume designers. I graduated from graduate school in 2006, and I got a fellowship to go back to Europe. A few days after arriving, I met this wonderful, old conductor who started casting me in all of these roles. And before long, I was commuting between Budapest, Milan and Florence. Though I was attached to this ugly, unwanted, high-maintenance, mechanical pet, my life was kind of like the happy part in an opera -- very complicated, but in a good way.

Then in February of 2008, my grandfather passed away. He was a big figure in all of our lives, and we loved him very much. It certainly didn't prepare me for what came next. Seven weeks later, I got a call from my family. My father had been in a catastrophic car accident, and he died. At 24, my death would have been entirely expected. But his -- well, the only way I can articulate how it felt was that it precipitated my medical decline. Against my doctors' and family's wishes, I needed to go back for the funeral. I had to say goodbye in some way, shape or form. But soon I was showing signs of right-heart failure, and I had to return to sea level, doing so knowing that I probably would never see my home again.

I canceled most of my engagements that summer, but I had one left in Tel Aviv, so I went. After one performance, I could barely drag myself from the stage to the taxicab. I sat down and felt the blood rush down from my face, and in the heat of the desert, I was freezing cold. My fingers started turning blue, and I was like, "What is going on here?" I heard my heart's valves snapping open and closed. The cab stopped, and I pulled my body from it feeling each ounce of weight as I walked to the elevator. I fell through my apartment door and crawled to the bathroom where I found my problem: I had forgotten to mix in the most important part of my medicine. I was dying, and if I didn't mix that stuff up fast, I would never leave that apartment alive. I started mixing, and I felt like everything was going to fall out through one hole or another, but I just kept on going. Finally, with the last bottle in and the last bubble out, I attached the pump to the tubing and lay there hoping it would kick in soon enough. If it didn't, I'd probably see my father sooner than I anticipated. Thankfully, in a few minutes, I saw the signature hive-like rash appear on my legs, which is a side effect of the medication, and I knew I'd be okay.

We're not big on fear in my family, but I was scared. I went back to the States, anticipating I'd return to Europe, but the heart catheterization showed that I wasn't going anywhere further that a flight-for-life from Johns Hopkins Hospital. I performed here and there, but as my condition deteriorated, so did my voice. My doctor wanted me to get on the list for a lung transplant. I didn't. I had two friends who had recently died months after having very challenging surgeries. I knew another young man, though, who had PH who died while waiting for one. I wanted to live. I thought stem cells were a good option, but they hadn't developed to a point where I could take advantage of them yet. I officially took a break from singing, and I went to the Cleveland Clinic to be reevaluated for the third time in five years, for transplant. I was sitting there kind of unenthusiastically talking with the head transplant surgeon, and I asked him if I needed a transplant, what I could do to prepare. He said, "Be happy. A happy patient is a healthy patient." It was like in one verbal swoop he had channeled my thoughts on life and medicine and Confucius. I still didn't want a transplant, but in a month, I was back in the hospital with some severely edemic kankles -- very attractive. And it was right-heart failure.

I finally decided it was time to take my doctor's advice. It was time for me to go to Cleveland and to start the agonizing wait for a match. But the next morning, while I was still in the hospital, I got a telephone call. It was my doctor in Cleveland, Marie Budev. And they had lungs. It was a match. They were from Texas. And everybody was really happy for me, but me. Because, despite their problems, I had spent my whole life training my lungs, and I was not particularly enthusiastic about giving them up. I flew to Cleveland, and my family rushed there in hopes that they would meet me and say what we knew might be our final goodbye. But organs don't wait, and I went into surgery before I could say goodbye. The last thing I remember was lying on a white blanket, telling my surgeon that I needed to see my mother again, and to please try and save my voice. I fell into this apocalyptic dream world.

During the thirteen-and-a-half-hour surgery, I flatlined twice,40 quarts of blood were infused into my body. And in my surgeon's 20-year career, he said it was among the most difficult transplants that he's ever performed. They left my chest open for two weeks. You could see my over-sized heart beating inside of it. I was on a dozen machines that were keeping me alive. An infection ravaged my skin. I had hoped my voice would be saved, but my doctors knew that the breathing tubes going down my throat might have already destroyed it. If they stayed in, there was no way I would ever sing again. So my doctor got the ENT, the top guy at the clinic, to come down and give me surgery to move the tubes around my voice box. He said it would kill me. So my own surgeon performed the procedure in a last-ditch attempt to save my voice.

Though my mom couldn't say goodbye to me before the surgery, she didn't leave my side in the months of recovery that followed. And if you want an example of perseverance, grit and strength in a beautiful, little package, it is her. One year ago to this very day, I woke up. I was 95 lbs. There were a dozen tubes coming in and out of my body. I couldn't walk, I couldn't talk, I couldn't eat, I couldn't move, I certainly couldn't sing, I couldn't even breathe, but when I looked up and I saw my mother, I couldn't help but smile.

Whether by a Mack truck or by heart failure or faulty lungs, death happens. But life isn't really just about avoiding death, is it? It's about living. Medical conditions don't negate the human condition. And when people are allowed to pursue their passions, doctors will find they have better, happier and healthier patients. My parents were totally stressed out about me going and auditioning and traveling and performing all over the place, but they knew that it was much better for me to do that than be preoccupied with my own mortality all of the time. And I'm so grateful they did.

This past summer, when I was running and singing and dancing and playing with my nieces and my nephews and my brothers and my sisters and my mother and my grandmother in the Colorado Rockies, I couldn't help but think of that doctor who told me that I couldn't sing. And I wanted to tell her, and I want to tell you, we need to stop letting disease divorce us from our dreams. When we do, we will find that patients don't just survive; we thrive. And some of us might even sing.

(Applause) [ Singing: French ]

Thank you. (Applause)

Thank you. And I'd like to thank my pianist, Monica Lee. (Applause) Thank you so much.

Thank you.

皆さん知らないでしょうが 今日は私にとって記念日です 結婚記念日などでなく 1ヵ月間の昏睡状態から 私が目を覚ましたのが 1年前の今日だったんです 両肺の移植を受けた後のことでした クレイジーでしょう?あり得ない! ありがとう

その6年前 私は ヨーロッパでオペラ歌手の道を 歩み始めたところでした そんな時に PHとも言われる 特発性肺高血圧症だと 宣告されたのです これは肺静脈が 狭くなり しだいに右心室への 負担が大きくなって起こります その結果 「逆グリンチ効果」と言うか 私の心臓は普通の 3.5倍になっていました この病気になると 身体を動かすのが困難になります 更に大抵の場合 2~5年で死亡します 私はこの分野でもトップクラスの 専門医に診てもらったのですが 今後歌っては駄目と言われました 「高音で歌うと命に関わりますよ」と この所見を裏付ける 医学的根拠はなく オペラのアリアが 肺高血圧と関係すると 示すものはなかったのですが 自分の追悼歌を歌うようなものだと きっぱり断言されました 病気のせいで私は体力的にかなり限界でしたが 歌う時には限界を感じていませんでした 息が肺から 声帯を通り 音となって発せられるのは 私の今までの体験の中で 何より精神的境地に近いものでした だから根拠のない意見をもとに 諦めるつもりはありませんでした

幸い私はレダ・ガージスに出会いました 全く素気ない人ですが 彼とジョンズ・ホプキンスのスタッフは 私が生き延びるだけでなく 意義のある人生を 送って欲しいと考えてくれていました これには妥協が必要でした 私はコロラドの出身です 海抜1600メートル以上の土地で 10人の兄弟姉妹と共に愛情溢れる 両親のもとで育ちました でも標高のせいで症状が悪化したので 医者のいるボルチモアに引越して 近くの音楽学校に入学しました 前ほど歩けなくなったので それならハイヒールを履いてやろうと思いました 塩分を摂るのをやめ 完全菜食主義者となり 大量のシルデナフィルを 服用し始めました 別名バイアグラです


父と祖父はいつもPHの 代替・従来の療法に関する 最新情報を探してくれましたが 6ヵ月後には私は坂道を歩いたり 階段を上ったり出来なくなっていました 立ち上がるのさえ困難で 倒れてしまいそうでした 心臓カテーテルで 肺動脈の内圧を測定してもらうと 標準では15~20であるべきところ 私の場合は146でした 派手にやるのが好きなんです でもこれが意味するのは1つでした 肺高血圧にはフローランという とても強力な治療薬があります 単なる薬品でなく 生活も変えるものです 胸部にカテーテルを入れて それを2キロほどの重さの ポンプに繋ぎます 毎日24時間ポンプが横にあり 薬を直接 心臓に投与するわけです 更にいろいろな意味で 特に望ましい薬だと いうわけでもないのです これが副作用のリストです ビーナッツバターとジャムのサンドイッチのような 塩分の高いものを食べると たぶん集中治療室に行く羽目になります 金属探知器を通ったら たぶん死にます 薬の調合が毎朝必要なんですが その時に薬に空気が入って それがそのまま投与されると たぶん死にます 薬を切らしたら 確実に死にます

フローランを好む患者はいません でもその時の私には フローランは天の助けでした 数日で歩けるようになり 数週間のうちに舞台で歌っていました そして数ヶ月後に ケネディセンターでデビューしました ポンプはステージに立つ時少し問題だったので ガードルと伸縮包帯を使って 腿の内側に固定していました エレベーターにひとりで乗って ドアが急に開かないことを願いつつ ポンプをレギンスに押し込んだことは まさに何回もありました また 私の胸から出ていたチューブは 衣装デザイナーには頭痛の種でした 私は2006年に大学院を卒業した後 奨学金を得てヨーロッパに戻りました 到着してから数日後 年配の素晴らしい指揮者に出会い 様々な役に抜擢されるようになりました やがてブダペスト ミラノそしてフィレンツェを 行き来するようになりました この醜いやっかいな 手間のかかるペットの装置に 束縛されてはいましたが 私の生活はオペラの幸福なシーンのようで とても複雑だけれども いい意味でという感じでした

そんなとき 2008年2月に 祖父が亡くなりました 誰からも頼りにされ とても愛された人でした あまりのことに次に起こったことを 受け止める余裕はありませんでした 7週間後 家族から連絡があり 父が悲惨な自動車事故に巻き込まれ 死亡したと告げられました 24歳で私が死ぬことは 十分あり得ることでした でも父が― このショックは言葉で言い表せません ただ言えるのは私の病状が 急激に悪化したということです 医者や家族の言うことに逆らってでも 帰ってお葬式に行って なんらかの形で お別れをしなくてはと思いました でも右心不全の症状がすぐに現れて もう二度と故郷の家を 見ることもないだろうと思いつつも 海抜ゼロまで戻らなくてはなりませんでした

その夏私はほとんどの予定をキャンセルしましたが テルアビブの公演が残っていて出かけました 1回目の上演のあと 舞台からタクシーに辿り着くのも やっとという状態になりました タクシーで座って 頭から血が引くのを感じました 砂漠の灼熱の中 私の体は凍えるようでした 指が紫色になり 「私どうしちゃったの?」と言う感じでした 心臓がバクバクするのが 感じられました タクシーが止まり 私は鉛のように重い体を 引きずるようにして エレベーターに向かいました アパートの玄関に倒れこむように入り バスルームに這って行きました そこで問題に気付きました 最も重要な薬を 調合するのを忘れていたのです 私は死にかけていて 薬の調合がすぐ出来なかったら 生きてアパートを出ることはないと思いました 私は薬を調合し始めましたが なかなかうまくいきませんでした でもとにかくやり続けて 最後のボトルを入れ空気を抜き ポンプをチューブに繋げました 横たわったまま 薬が早く効いてくれるように祈りました 駄目なら思ったよりも早く 父に会うことになったでしょう ありがたいことに数分で 薬の副作用である 典型的なミミズばれのような 湿疹が足に現れて 大丈夫だと悟りました

私も家族も物事を恐れない性質ですが この時は怖かったです 私はまたヨーロッパに戻るつもりで アメリカに帰国しました でも心臓カテーテルの結果 ジョンズ・ホプキンス病院の緊急ヘリ飛行範囲より 遠いところに行けないと分かりました あちこちで公演しましたが 体調が悪化するに従って 声も出なくなってきました 医者には肺移植の予約を入れるべきだと 言われましたが いやでした 私には非常に困難な手術を受けて 数ヵ月後に亡くなった友人が2人いました 一方 移植用の肺を待ちつつ亡くなった PH患者の青年のことも知っていました 私は死にたくありませんでした 幹細胞がいいかもと思いましたが これは私が利用できるような 実用的なところまで進んでいませんでした 私は正式に歌をお休みして クリーブランド・クリニックに 肺移植が必要か再検査に行きました 5年間で3度目の検査です 積極的になれないまま 私はそこで 移植外科の主任医師と話していました そして移植が必要な場合 それに向けて 出来ることは何かと尋ねました すると「希望を持ってください 明るい患者さんは 元気な患者さんです」と言われました まるで一言で 生命や医療や 孔子の教えに関する私の考えを まとめてくれたように感じました 移植が嫌なのは同じでしたが その後1ヵ月で 病院に戻ることになりました 足首が重度の浮腫性でむくんでしまったのです 醜い状態です 右心不全のせいでした

医師の指示に従うべきだと 私はようやく決意しました クリーブランドに行って 私の身体に適合する肺を待つ苦しみに 直面する時が来たのです でも次の朝 私がまだ病院にいる間に 電話がありました クリーブランドでの私の担当医 マリー・ブデヴでした 「移植用の肺が手に入った」 「適合している」 「テキサスから届いた」とのことでした 周りは皆とても喜んでくれましたが 私はうれしくありませんでした いろいろ問題があるにしても 人生をささげて訓練した肺です 取ってしまうことに 特別乗り気になれなかったのです 私はクリーブランドに飛び 家族も駆けつけて 万が一のため 私の顔を見て 最後のお別れの言葉を 交わそうとしました でも内臓は待っていてくれず お別れを告げる間もないまま 手術が始まりました 最後の記憶は 白い毛布の上に横たわって外科医に 母にもう一目会いたいんです それとできれば 声を失いたくないんですと告げたことです そして私は絶望的な夢の世界に陥りました

13時間半の手術の間に 心臓が2回止まり 40リットル以上の輸血が 行われました その外科医によると 彼の20年のキャリアで最も難しい 手術の1つだったそうです 私の胸部は2週間開いたままで 肥大した心臓が中で 脈打っているのが見える状態でした 10個以上の装置に繋げられて ようやく生きていました 皮膚は感染してぼろぼろでした 声帯が傷つかないことを願っていましたが のどに通された呼吸管が既に 声帯を傷つけている可能性があると 医師には分かっていました 呼吸管があったら将来歌うことなど不可能でした そこでクリニックでも名高い 耳鼻咽喉科医が 管が声帯に触らないよう 動かす手術を行うために呼ばれましたが 死ぬから駄目だと言われました そこで私の外科医が土壇場で 私の声帯を守る手術をしました

母は手術前に私にお別れを 言うことができませんでしたが その後何ヶ月もの回復期間 ずっと私の側にいてくれました 忍耐力 気力 そして体力を備えた 可憐で素晴らしい人がいるとすれば それはうちの母です 1年前の 今日この日 私の意識が戻りました 体重43キロで 10本以上の管が 私の身体に入っていました 歩くこともしゃべることも 食べることも動くことも 当然歌うことも出来ませんでした 呼吸さえ出来なかったのです でも目が覚めたとき 母がいるのを見て 微笑まずにはいられませんでした

大型トラックにはねられたり 心不全になったり 肺に障害ができたりして 死は訪れるものです でもただ死を避けるのが人生ではないですよね? 人生とは生きることです 人のありようは病状では打ち消されません 情熱を追うことを許してあげれば その患者は 希望を持った元気な模範患者になると 医者は気づくでしょう 私の両親は私があちこちに出かけて オーディションを受けたり 公演したりするのをとても心配していましたが 常に自分の死について考えているより この方が私のためだと分かってくれていました これにはとても感謝しています

この夏私はコロラドのロッキー山脈で 姪や甥 兄弟姉妹 そして母と祖母と 走り回ったり歌ったり踊ったりしました その時に 歌っては駄目だと私に告げた 医者のことを考えずにはいられませんでした 彼女に伝えたいと思ったこと そして皆さんにも伝えたいことは 病気を理由に 夢を捨てては駄目だということです 夢を捨てなければ 患者は 生き延びるだけでなく 活躍します 患者によっては 歌うこともあるかもしれません

(拍手) [歌唱:フランス語]

ありがとう (拍手)

ありがとう ピアニストのモニカ・リーにも感謝します (拍手) どうもありがとうございました


― もっと見る ―
― 折りたたむ ―


  • 主語
  • 動詞
  • 助動詞
  • 準動詞
  • 関係詞等

TED 日本語

TED Talks


洋楽 おすすめ